Tortitas De Coliflor En Caldillo
It is said that your eyes show the strength of your soul.
And I could definitely see it in the eyes of my Abuela.
In her 87 years, she saw generations being born…Deaths of those she loved.
She Experienced joys and heart aches… like many of us.
What a bitter sweet thing.
Yet, she continued…
Strong women aren’t born, they’re forged in the fires they’ve had to walk through… Paving the way for those who come after.
Abuela has passed down her mantel– her apron. And I carry her essence that comes forth when I need it… Maybe even when you need it.
2 cauliflower heads
1/4 c of flour
1/4 of an onion
1 garlic clove
1 tsp of cumin
Cooking oil or Lard
- Rinse cauliflower.
- Boil cauliflower until soft then set aside to cool down.
- Cut into small pieces.
4. Make egg batter by mixing egg whites until nice and fluffy.
5. Add yolks, flour and salt to taste.
6. Dip each cauliflower pieces in egg batter and fry in lard or oil.
7. To make tomato sauce, blend tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt and water.
8. Heat up a pan and add 2 tbsp of lard or oil.
9. Add 2 tbsp of flour and mix quickly to make a roux.
10. After is it well blended, add tomato mix.
11. Add cumin and let it simmer for for 2-3 minutes.
12. Sprinkle in Cotija cheese to liking and check for salt.
13. Add cauliflower and simmer for 3-4 minute.
14. Add more Cotija cheese if you like.
Serve with rice and or beans.